Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mississippi Dialect

"Computer dating is fine, if you’re a computer"
-Rita Mae Brown

So I decided sometime ago that I wasn't going to wake up one day feeling confident. And women weren't going to magically fall out of the sky and into my life. So I joined one of those online dating websites to help my confidence and meet women. I never really used it because you had to buy a subscription to do anything significant on there, like actually chat with women. I didn't want to pay money to meet women when there are so many of them walking around. Anyways, sometime later I get 3 email notifications of 3 messages in my inbox from 3 different "girls" on this dating website. For simplicity and fear of being sued I will not mention the website or the user names of these "girls".

The first message from one "girl" read(i have x'ed out any identifying information):

Write to me...
Do not loose chance to date with woman
of your dreams...smile...
OK if some seriously I am first time here.
I just liked your profile and want to know you better.
I am a simple woman: like all kinds of activities,
flowers, sport, some romantic...
Write to me to my e-mail address:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@YAHOO.COM

I think it would better to both of us to write to each other via e-mails. I am waiting for your letter and pic if you could at my e-mail so we could begin our dating. I have only real intentions in dating.
I do not see a reason to worry about age, distance, or race in looking for a really good male for life.
Anyway I am waiting for your replay soon.
bye for now


...okay so "she's" a FOB, "she" doesn't write in english all that well, neither do I, for all I know "she" speaks it fluently. Before I responded I wanted to read the other messages. This was the second one:

You received this letter yesterday? I wait your answer to the email. - I do not know what to write in the first letter to you. I shall tell just your structure to me has seemed interesting. Today I shall remove the Add. Therefore write on mine email address. If I shall be interesting to you, then write to me on my email - xxxxxxxxxxxx on yahoo com (xxxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com). As soon as you answer me, I will send you my picture. I shall be send you my picture therefrom. So I am waiting for your reply impatiently...

...again not going to hold it against a person for being a FOB. I then read the final message. I should tell you that the two "girls" mentioned so far did not have a profile picture. But the third "girl" did. She was a white lady from Jackson, Mississippi. Her message was:

Hello! Long wandering on a site, I have seen your profile and it has liked me. I think, that you that man whom I search. But that we could learn more about each other to us it is necessary to continue dialogue. But I think, that on a site at us it it will not turn out and consequently I would like, that you have written to me on mine email (xxxxxxxxx (at) yahoo (.) com). I will wait for your letter. In the letter I can send to you more than the photos.

So I see this pattern of poor english and email addresses from yahoo and have come to the conclusion that these may not be girls at all, but very well could be a guy or guys sitting behind a computer trying to get my email address to send me spam. That or people in Jackson, Mississippi actually speak and write like that. I just tried looking at the profiles of each user this morning, the above two "girls" are no longer members but the third one is still active.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, instead of a dating site you might have more luck in the blog world. At least then you have a chance to get to know how the person thinks/their interests before and you don't get spammed!

Plus, the ratio of female to male bloggers is like 10:1. hehehe

grace said...

ouch. anyone whose writing gave me that kind of headache would be immediately crossed off of my list.

thanks for stopping by my blog, omega! love meeting new people.

mht said...

I think the grammar was impressive... and by impressive, I mean awful.

Thanks for stopping by the blog... luckily I haven't had to memorize any of that, yet. I had to learn a bunch of laws for the last test and we'll see what I need to know for the next one, but I'm hoping he takes it easy...

Omega said...

@Hezabelle LOL yeah I have noticed.
@Everyone Thanks for taking the time to read my post even though it was quite long.

Diana said...

Hmmm... It doesn't look like any southern dialect I've heard before (including Mississippi). My guess is it was written by someone whose native language is not English. Just a guess.

Omega said...

Yeah I figure they're spammers; haven't replied to them.

Post a Comment